White Plastic (Resin) Fillings Vs Ceramic Porcelain Fillings: A Comparison
The options available for restoring your teeth are as follows:
- White Plastic (composite/resin) fillings – these are the ones most commonly placed when you have a cavity. However research shows that if you lose 40% of your tooth you unfortunately lose 90% of its strength. This is where ceramic fillings are superior.
- White Ceramic (porcelain) fillings – these fillings are much stronger than plastic fillings due to the composition of ceramic – it is a stronger material. Further they are made with precision and designed and fabricated by a computer outside the mouth.
This means that their shape is perfected for fit both on the biting surface as well as between the teeth. The result? Less food getting stuck between the teeth then after the placement of plastic fillings.
Other Comparisons between the two;
WHITE PLASTIC (RESIN) FILLINGS:
- are not only used to restore decayed areas, but also for cosmetic improvement of the smile by changing the shape of the teeth anteriorly.
- are used for changing the color of teeth or reshaping disfigured teeth.
- they are placed and hardened using a dental curing light in the mouth instantly. This means they are quicker and cheaper to fabricate and place.
- they last 7 years on average but have a shorter lifespan with clinchers and grinders of teeth.
WHITE CERAMIC/PORCELAIN FILLINGS:
- are excellent alternatives for the longer term. They are durable fillings.
- unlike white plastic resin fillings they strengthen and reinforce a tooth when compared to resin white fillings where the structure may be weakened.
- they last longer than a regular plastic filling because the ceramic material is custom made and bonded or fused to the tooth. Lifespan can average up to 30 years!
- The ceramic/porcelain is stronger then plastic/resin.
- they will not discolor as resin/plastic fillings usually do.
- they are custom made so they fit better and do not shrink or change size with time. ( unlike plastic/resin), this makes it a lot easier for you to clean or brush your teeth.